Monday 9 April 2012

My Family

Good grief, those annoying bumper stickers!
Anyone living in SE Queensland, particularly the Gold Coast, will know what I am referring to.
Those stick figure graphics that people purchase and plaster onto their cars to advertise to the world at large the constituents of their family unit.
Vomit.
Allow me to make a few post-feminist observations.
Why is the 'father' figure never depicted attending a household chore like dish-washing, or reading a book; why is this figure always represented by an adult stick figure male holding a football or BBQ-ing?
Why does the 'mother' figure always appear be-skirted clutching a 1950's handbag and/or a laptop; (mine would be far more accurate with a bottle of anti-depressants and a frantic look in the eyes)?
And where are the 'father' figures like my ex depicted by an obese man grafted to a couch watching a tv sitting on a bulging wad of cash with his hands up in a gesture of negation towards an office of the Child Support Agency?
whoops!
Showing my Freudian-slip again!
Still feel irrational rage at those stickers though...

A big hello to my international friends who the statistics tell me have viewed this blog!
Yes, all three of you!

:)


1 comment:

  1. Hello from a fellow feminist in Ho Chi Minh City! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete